- While taking photos follow the instructions below.
- Rotate your phone to find the right direction shown to you, in order north, east, south and west. Once you find the right direction and the camera is open, do not move your phone.
- Try to hold your device vertical to the ground.
- Do not take pictures that would violate privacy, such as of people's and animals' faces or license plates.
- Do not zoom in.
- Hold your device in landscape mode.
- Do not enter governmental/private and non-publicly accessible places, such as offices, nature reserves, military land, etc.
- Do not walk into fields with growing crops.
- Be aware of the dangers around you and do not go into possibly dangerous areas.
Land Cover Collector application has been developed at the GEOlab - Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of Politecnico di Milano. The purpose of the application is to collect data on land cover classification using the 10 classes of GlobeLand30. It is available in English, Italian, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and French. It is published as Android and iOS applications and available on web.
It is an open source project, available on GitHub. The project is protected under GNU GPLv3 license. The application is partially based on and extends the project EmoMap, developed by the Research Group Cartography in the Department of Geodesy and Geoinformation in TU Wien University.
This work is supported by URBAN GEOmatics for Bulk Information Generation, Data Assessment and Technology Awareness (URBAN GEO BIG DATA), a Project of National Interest (PRIN) funded by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) - id. 20159CNLW8.
You can download the land cover data collected with this application using this link.The data is in JSON format. Each data object in the dataset represents one point of land cover. An example URL to get a photo is the following: https://landcover.como.polimi.it/couchdb/lcc_points/2018-07-09T18:47:44.822Z/photo-north.jpeg. In this URL 2018-07-09T18:47:44.822Z is the ID of the document. In a similar manner, all the images in the database can be accessed. The license of the data is Open Database License (ODbL) v1.0.